Please register to join us for a two-day conference (Mar 16-17) focused on important questions, such as:
- What has been the role of religionchurches, institutions of civic society, intellectualsin the creation and political successes of forms of exclusivist nationalist rejection of moral universalism?
- What is the relationship between established ecclesiastical authority and humanitarianism?
- What are the internal debates and fracture lines within particular religious communities and especially among the laity on issues like immigration and gender/sexual equality that figure so prominently in thinking about moral universalism?
- What roles can or should important non-religious actors like international business, NGOs, and states play in mitigating the anti-humanitarian impulses of the new religious nationalists and nationalisms?
- What roles can or should various religion-based institutions play in mitigating the anti-humanitarian impulses of the new religious nationalists and nationalisms?
This event is co-sponsored by Social Science Matrix; the Human Rights Program; Center for Democracy, Toleration, and Religion; Townsend Center for the Humanities; Institute for South Asia Studies; and Center for the Study of Religion.
The discussion will involve scholars, activists, and clergy from the United States and abroad, including:
- Keynote: John Shattuck, former Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights
- Adam Chmielewski, Institute of Philosophy, Wroclaw University
- Bennett Freeman, Former Deputy Asst. Secretary for Human Rights, Former Senior VP for Sustainability Research & Policy, Calvert Investments
- Samuel Moyn, Yale Law School
- Andras Lazlo Pap, Central European University
- George Rupp, Columbia University & Former President of the IRC
- Tehila Sasson, Emory University
- Rev. Prof. Jane Shaw, Dean of Religious Life, Stanford University
- Jodok Troy, Visiting Scholar at The Europe Center, Stanford University
- Olivia Wilkinson, Joint Learning Initiative on Faith and Local Communities
- Molly Worthen, University of North Carolina