Professor Liu Yuening will introduce the distinctive characteristics of the yangqin, which originated in the Middle East and has a history of over 4,000 years. The presentation will include pictures, audio and video materials, and a live performance by Professor Liu.
Yuening Liu is a professor of Yangqin (Chinese Hammered Dulcimer) performance at the Central Conservatory of Music (CCOM), Beijing, China, and a Supervisor of MA students of Traditional Chinese Music at the internationally renowned institution. She also serves as the Director of the Music Confucius Institute office of CCOM.
Professor Liu has released 15 albums in China and overseas, and has published 10 textbooks and dozens of research papers and essays. Her major recordings include:
- East Meet East : A Night of Sino-Indian Music (2013)
- Concert for New Works of Liu Yuening and Indian Musicians (2013)
- Jasmine in Fragrance (2013)
- Messenger of Music (2006)
- Dialogue (2005)
- Melody of Butterflies (1998)
- Variation of Mulans Verse (1997)
Her books include:
- Classics of Chinese and Foreign Yangqin Music (2007)
- Romantic Yangqin Music (2003)
- Yangqin Performance in a Minute (2002)
- Elementary Etudes for Chinese Yangqin (1998)
- An Elementary Course on Yangqin (1997)